California State Senator
Marie was elected in November 2022 by the voters to represent Senate District 4. She beat out a crowded field of seven opponents and quickly rose to be a local, hometown favorite in the Sierra Foothills and Central Valley regions she serves.
Marie is a native Californian. Her parents immigrated to the US and worked in the service industry. She was taught the importance of hard work by watching her aunts and uncles build several successful family-owned businesses. Marie pursued her passion in livestock management by studying Animal Science at UC Davis before pivoting her education to raise her three children Justice, Anissa and Carmen in rural northern CA. As a single parent, she grew her career in management by working with nonprofit organizations and local agencies to design, develop and implement new community health and education programs for youth and families. Marie returned to college mid-career and achieved both a Bachelor and Master degree in Public Administration from the University of San Francisco as a widely recognized and awarded leader in public service.
Throughout her career in schools and healthcare organizations, Marie has impacted the lives of thousands of victims of violent crimes, people with disabilities, the mentally ill, the uninsured and working class individuals. She has been a working partner and ally to law enforcement, probation, county public health, and large hospitals systems up and down the state. In Sacramento, Marie continues to lead in common-sense public policy.
Marie lives in Amador County. She and her husband, Cesar, are parents to a blended family of six children, one grand baby and a grumble of pugs.
Leadership in the State Senate
- Chair, Human Services Committee
- Agriculture Committee
- Business & Professionals Economic Development Committee
- Government Organization Committee
- Insurance Committee
- Military & Veteran's Committee
- Joint Committee on Fair Allocations and Classification
The Voice of Common Sense Leadership for 15 years.
- Board Chair, ChartHouse Public Schools, 2016-22
- Commissioner, Advisory Commission on Special Education, 2020-22
- Commissioner, Healthcare Integration Advisory Board, 2016
- Board Member, Leadership Institute for Just and Resilient Communities, 2015
- Board Member, Sonoma County Mental Health Board, 5th District, 2014
- Steering Committee, Healthy Kids Sonoma County Children's Health Initiative, 2010-15
- Executive Board Treasurer, California Human Development Corporation, 2009-14
- Commissioner, County of Sonoma, Maternal Child & Adolescent Health Advisory Board, 2010-12